Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Mike Conley

One of our readers sent me a heads up to Mike Conley's blog, where he writes about his workout for the Bulls and being stuck in traffic with his encyclopedic cousin. Nothing jaw-dropping, but it did remind me that in this mock draft, Conley's not getting picked until Atlanta at 11.

I kinda doubt he's going to stick around that long, but if he did (and Noah was already gone), I'd seriously thinking about scooping him up with our pick. Not because I think we need him (I don't--he's too small), but because I think we might be able to use him as pretty enticing trade bait. If Portland does end up taking Oden, they might be willing to give us Randolph for him and a couple lesser players. If none of the players that we really want are there at nine, I think it makes a lot of sense to take the guy with the most "upside" who other teams covet (Yi also fits in this category) and use him as bait. Really, the last thing we need are more young players.

3 Comments:

Blogger Big Sweet said...

I like where you're going with this, but I'm always wary about picks like that. I was in a fantasy football draft a few years back and this guy Watson took Kerry Collins in the sixth round after he kept Peyton from the year before. Nobody could orchestrate a deal that worked, he burned his pick and finished 1-15. That situation is a far cry from a lottery point guard, I know, but banking on Pax to pull a huge deal isn't the most comfortable position in which to be.

10:51 PM  
Blogger BenGo07 said...

Yeah, but worst comes to worst, we have a young backup PG who has to be a significant upgrade over Du. And again, I'm just saying we do this if there's nobody else on the board that we think can help us immediately.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this idea. Let's say we keep the #9 and get Noah or Conley,
Pax has to make a deal - we'll have too much damn depth.

Kirk/Duhon
Gordon/Sefo
Deng/Noce
Noah/Ty
Wallace/P.J.(I hope we re-sign him)

with Griff, Krappy, Malik and two second rounders. And this doesn't include someone at the mid-level.

So the cap looks like -

Wallace - $15.5
Kirk $11
BG- $4.9
Duhon- $3.5
Ty - $3.5
Deng -$3.3
Sefo-$1.8
Griff- $1.6
Krappy- $1.9
Noah - $1.9
hoping ...

Noce - $6
P.J. $1.5
Marty A. $800,000
second rounder - $700,000
Second rounder - $700,000


So all that equals $58.6, though I might have f'ed up my numbers.
The luxury cap was $65 lasy year, so we should be able to sign someone like Mikki Moore or Pavlovic if we can get them for the
$4.5 million exception.

But why would we? We have too much depth if we don't make a big deal - where are the minutes for Noce, Ty and Sefo much less another rotation guy. At the very least, I'd like to see Pax package Duhon, Krappy and a
second rounder for a decent vet. big guy.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home