Saturday, January 06, 2007

Take that Pistons

The teal jersey-era tempered my hatred of the Detroit Pistons, but they remain one of my least favorite franchises in sports. It all started back in 1989 or 1990, when I witnessed a Laimbeer-Pippen Chicago Stadium scuffle at the tender and impressionable age of five or six. It was rekindeled 15 years later, when I trudged out to the Palace at Auburn Hills (which if you've ever been, is NOWHERE near Detroit) in 2004 to watch a Pistons-Bucks playoff game. I sat in the upper tank with my brother and a good friend from school, a Bucks fan, and we watched the most obnoxious group of fans that I've ever seen operate. You couldn't escape Rasheed's whining, the gold chains, greasy hair, and unknowledgeable fans. The strange thing is that I have had great experiences with the actual residents of Detroit. But the nature of the beast makes it so they don't get out to the 'burbs very much for games, giving me even more reason to loathe those chumps. I wanted this game badly.

And what a game it was. Deng and Noce shot lights out, Wallace was solid on the glass (and in the lane a few times), and everytime the Pistons took a shot in the middle two quarters, it seeemed like they had a hand in their face. Rasheed was quiet, the Pistons looked flustered and the Bulls moved within a half game of the division lead. I'm pumped (even if I claimed earlier that this game didn't mean as much as either of the previous two losses, which I still stand by).

A few observations . . .

-Deng is so quick, both to the ball and to the rim. It makes him so hard to guard, because 4's can't stay with him laterally and 3's aren't nearly as long. He just exploded around guys down low tonight.

-Kirk looked extremely rusty and didn't get any help from the officials. I'm sure he will be better in the next few.

-Detroit misses Billups like crazy. Flip Murray can't effectivley run a good NBA team.

-Gordon's three in Prince's eye was just silly. My brother and I decided back in high school that a three to cut a lead from nine to six is the "biggest shot in basketball." That was one of them.

-The Pistons need to find someone to get on the class. Nazr ain't cutting it.

A great game. Good times.

2 Comments:

Blogger BenGo07 said...

Damn, Sweets. I DVR'd this shit, but now I'm not sure if I need to watch it. Keep it up.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Big Sweet said...

You should watch it anyway and appreciate all that is Luol Deng. But it probably can't be as enjoyable as my experience; sitting next to a Piston fan, who pre-game called Wallace a "mercenary," then proceeded to moan and wince everytime BW made a good play.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home